Thursday, September 23, 2010

Only if You Truly Believe



Title: The Polar Express
Written and Illustrated by: Chris Van Allsburg
Publisher: Houghton Mifflin Company


When I was younger I used to believe in Santa Clause. The whole idea of a big fat jolly old man holding a huge sack full of presents to give to every girl and boy on the night before Christmas made it the best holiday of all. I can close my eyes and literally see him all red, big black boots and saying "Ho Ho Ho, Merry Christmas!" And just like in the songs we hear every year, he was always watching us to check if we were being "naughty" or "nice". I believed in Santa so much that not only did I leave out milk and cookies for him but I also left out carrots for his reindeer! Thinking about it now I find it silly but there was something about it that holds a child's innocence. I think it is the cutest thing; the idea that every young girl and boy trying stay up for as long as possible on Christmas Eve to catch Santa putting the presents underneath the tree but failed to do so each year. 

Sadly enough, eventually reality kicks in and as we get older we stop believing and the whole experience that seemed magical to us at one point in our lives becomes a never ending list of toy requests given to our parents. I remember I used to write Santa a letter about how good I've been and what I would like for Christmas, now I ask for the usual, cash. I don't even make a list!

 The Polar Express is one of my favorite books. It reminds me of the thoughts and feelings I had when I was little. The excitement of Christmas morning, tons of presents under the tree and all because of Santa and his elves. The story is about a little boy who believes in Santa Clause and waits up for him one Christmas Eve to hear the bells from the sleigh. Instead the Polar Express arrives heading to the North Pole where the little boy receives a gift. On the way home he realizes he's lost it. Lucky for him he finds the bell under the tree and when he rings the it his mother says it's broken, but that is because she hears nothing while the little boy hears the ringing. From then on he always believed and only those who believe can still hear the ringing of the bell. 

2 comments:

  1. Your stories about how you felt about Santa Claus really rang true with me. Personally, I left out a bowl of sugar for the reindeer. I guess by the time you were a kid, reindeer had become more health conscious and were sticking to a lighter diet, thus the carrots, but all the same, I loved this memory your post gave me. As a kid, I put a trampoline on my christmas list every year, but never actually got one. I guess it's with the horse I never was gifted either. Even though I am an adult and Santa Claus is just the figment of imaginative children out there, the 'spirit' of Santa Claus and the magical holiday season is something that I haven't lost. I guess you can say that I still hear the 'ringing of the bell.'

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is also one of my favorite books! It reminds me of my favorite time of year. Your blog reminds me of how I felt as a child when I still believed in Santa. It was a great feeling to believe in Santa. I look at young children today and envy them because they still believe.
    When I was a child I never left any cookies or milk out for Santa because I was busy trying to spy on him. I wanted to meet him, so I would go to my room early and pretend to sleep. Then when I thought it was late enough I would sneak out into my hallway to catch him leaving presents. It never worked and now I know its because he isn't real. As a child this was always exciting to me because every year I thought it was going to be the year I would see him.

    ReplyDelete